Concrete Defeat 9/27

This week I have been working on conceptualizing in full scale and experimenting with materials. I find that as soon as I have a good concept the best way to test it is to get out and make it. Working at full scale allows me to interact with the object the same way other users will in the real world. Making full scale models also lets me place and view the object in its natural environment. I was unsure if this concept was going to physically work so I also needed to test that out for myself.   While I have found that my idea will physically work, material explorations have not been going as smooth. I set up a simple cardboard mold to pour a concrete form into in hopes of having my first functional prototype. Later I cracked open the mold only to find that the concrete was not nearly wet enough when I poured it. I also found that the concrete I used was very corse. Originally I anticipated a smooth finish however this may have been a happy accident.   I will continue to experiment with concrete moving forward but I have a few more ideas that I need to work out. Concrete poses a lot of potential for problems and I'm not sure it will be the right material for this application.    

This week I have been working on conceptualizing in full scale and experimenting with materials. I find that as soon as I have a good concept the best way to test it is to get out and make it. Working at full scale allows me to interact with the object the same way other users will in the real world. Making full scale models also lets me place and view the object in its natural environment. I was unsure if this concept was going to physically work so I also needed to test that out for myself. 

While I have found that my idea will physically work, material explorations have not been going as smooth. I set up a simple cardboard mold to pour a concrete form into in hopes of having my first functional prototype. Later I cracked open the mold only to find that the concrete was not nearly wet enough when I poured it. I also found that the concrete I used was very corse. Originally I anticipated a smooth finish however this may have been a happy accident. 

I will continue to experiment with concrete moving forward but I have a few more ideas that I need to work out. Concrete poses a lot of potential for problems and I'm not sure it will be the right material for this application.